Do you ever have thoughts and feelings that you don’t want? What does mental toughness mean? Do you ever worry about what people think about you or wish that you were more confident? These are all questions that 3x X-Terra World Champion Lesley Paterson and Simon Marshall, PhD have addressed in their book, “Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down.”
It was great to talk with both of them. Lesley is a badass- 3x World Champ and Coach. Her insight and depth of knowledge is incredible. Simon is a former professor of family and preventive medicine as well as sport and exercise psychology. He has a lot of practical experience as a Sports Psychologist (even to the Professional BMC Road Racing team).
I enjoyed their book – they break everything that I regularly love to think and talk about into bite size chunks that can be applied to sport and life. You’ll have to listen for more!
Topics Discussed in the Podcast
- Naming the book
- How to cope if your event or ride isn’t going well
- Where to derive self-confidence and how to build your self worth
- Difference between self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem and self-efficacy
- Do you worry about what other people think about you? Everyone does- listen on how to manage impression management and to embrace being a vulnerable human
- Eating disorders and body image: how to talk to someone who is having a problem or how to help yourself (focus less on the what your body looks like and more on what your body can do)
- Reframing things in a healthy way
- link to the book: Brave Athlete: Calm the F*ck Down
- Audiobook version
- BraveHeart Coaching
- Follow Lesley on Twitter
Support the Show
If you like my show, I’m aiming to make it an ad-free zone using crowdfunding to support it. All donations will go directly to the production of the show. I’m raising money using Patreon. A lot of podcasts sell ads to cover the production costs of the show, which can be quite high. I am not a fan of ads when I listen to podcasts so my goal is make this podcast an ad-free zone. The currently production of this free show is primarily supported out of my own pocket and a small portion is covered through the donations on Patreon. With my Patreon page, you can donate directly to the show which will help me cover the costs each week. If you find value and enjoy this show, you can donate any amount 200 dollars per month to as little as one dollar per episode (which is only 4 dollars a month!) I really appreciate your support!
Crowdfunding on Patreon – thank you!
Leave a review or share on social media
Don’t forget to subscribe!
Thanks for listening!