Britt Frank – therapist, teacher, speaker, and trauma specialist – focuses her work on helping others who feel stuck. Her life’s work developed out of a history of drug addiction, love addiction, borderline personality disorder, depression, an eating disorder and anxiety. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but her approach to her work comes from a deep understanding of what it feels like to be stuck.
Britt tried numerous things to get better, and got worse, but once she was on the path to recovery, she found purpose – to dismantle the mental health and motivation myths that keep us stuck, sick, and stressed.
Her recently released book – The Science of Stuck – is a research-based tool kit for moving past what’s holding you back in life, love, and in work.
Britt’s goal is to educate, empower, and equip people to transform their most persistent and long-standing patterns of thinking and doing.
In this conversation, Britt and Sonya talk about how to get unstuck, celebrate successes, use past experiences to help us now and more.
“It’s so important to remember that the stuck of our circumstances isn’t the end of the story. A lot of times we think we’re stuck and it’s because we’re only seeing the thing that we’re stuck in. And, again, if you pan out far enough, it’s almost always the case that you can get momentum in some area. I may not have gotten my ‘yes’ from my pitching, but I could build my website, and I can work on my social media, and there are other places… All the moves count, even the little ones, so I think if people started validating their little wins, those add up really fast when you start saying, ‘yeah, I get to count that,’ or ‘yes, I get to count all of the things’ – the big things and the little things.”– Britt Frank
- How to get out of being stuck
- How to celebrate successes
- Using “and thinking” instead of “but thinking”
- Nine benefits to staying stuck
- What role does shame play in keeping us stuck
- Cost-benefit analysis of behaviors
- How can we digest past traumas to help us now
- Myths about adult friendships
- Shadow Intelligence SQ
- Favorite five-minute challenges
- Learn more about the Britt Frank
- Check out The Science of Stuck
- Check out my Substack about high-performance mindset
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter!