“It’s too late for me. I’m too old to start.” Have you ever used these excuses are barriers? Meet Ian Morgan, an ultrarunner who is crushing it in his 50s. And guess what? He didn’t even start on this journey until he was in his mid-40s.
Ian was primarily focused on his engineering career and property investment company in his 20s and 30s. Realizing that a primary focus on money, materialistic possessions, and career achievements wasn’t making him happy, he took a 180 turn in his life. Ian said, ” I was overweight, stressed, and unhappy with myself, so I started to run. This is where I discovered a passion for ultra running. Eventually, I sold everything I owned (Houses, cars, bikes, and all my furniture) and started living a more nomadic minimalist lifestyle, traveling the world and running 50 to 250 km plus ultra races in some of the world’s wildest places.”
How did this happen?
Starting as a proverbial couch potato to present day super-fit ultra runner (seriously, he ran a 2:50 marathon and as you just heard, he gets in some serious distance), Ian knows what it takes to claim responsibility for your life and make lasting changes. And to top it all off, he says you’re never too old to get started. How many of us would think we could start our running career in our late 40s and early 50s? His current job is to run and he works with sponsors as a competitive lifestyle athlete and inspires thousands with his Instagram account.
“Mental laziness is something that you can use as an excuse, but at the end of the day, I had to face myself and say “is that the person I really want to be?” I remember when I was a kid, I wasn’t that way. I used to challenge myself, I used to push myself so I guess I went back to those childhood experiences, examined it and thought “what can I do now as an adult to bring that to the forefront, to push myself again?” Once I realized I had this propensity for mental laziness, I then know when it comes up, I know when I start telling myself those excuses, I can check myself and use that discipline, use consistency and start putting in the work.”-Ian Morgan
- Who is Ian Morgan?
- Why we lose connection to ourselves as athletes
- Overcoming mental laziness
- The problem with taking on too much too quickly
- Ian Morgan’s inspiring transformation
- You’re never to old to start
- Defining Success
- Follow Ian Morgan on Instagram
- My podcast episode I mentioned: Picking Yourself
- Check out my Substack about high-performance mindset
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter!
Try Inside Tracker Blood Test for Athletes
For 25% off, get the Inside Tracker Discount code! The Inside Tracker Discount Code is good for all purchases store-wide.
How does the InsideTracker blood test work?
- They measure over 30 biomarkers like cortisol, hsCRP (inflammation), magnesium, vitamin D, ferritin and so much more.
- Each biomarker shows an optimized range and how you can add in healthy foods to get your blood biomarkers to perform better.
- Offers InnerAge testing
- Over 2,000 partnering labs in the USA + home testing in Canada
- Gives you a big picture view of your health and wellness. It’s empowering to know what to do to enhance your performance and see tangible results.