Isn’t it fascinating how riding a bike can teach us so much about ourselves and about life? Blogger, Pro Enduro Racer, and YouTuber Syd Schulz has learned a lot of valuable lessons. Her blog is one of my favorites to read. From posts about mindfulness on the trail, to living in a van with her husband Macky, to her adventures around the world, Syd always has insightful and useful posts. You also may have seen her work published for CTS, REI, Bicycling, Runner’s World and so much more! I wanted to invite Syd on the show because she and I think about a lot of similar topics. In this podcast episode, you’ll learn why you should stop apologizing on rides, how to turn a bad ride into a good ride, hear about why we care so much about what other people think, and what it’s really like to be a professional racer. We also talk about how it’s sometimes hard to be happy with where you are right now and about what progression means in our sport. Syd and I also talked about how she and Macky make a living which is something people always love asking pro racers! Syd is incredibly down to earth, easy to talk to, and relatable. I hope you enjoy this episode with her, and don’t forget to sign up for her newsletter to get weekly blog updates. I always look forward to it on Wednesdays!
Topics Discussed in the Podcast
- Planning your life around races
- Why we are so stuck on results and expectations
- How to feel good about the times you finish mid-pack
- Thoughts on feeling happy with where you are in life
- Her mantra to stay present on the trail when she makes a mistake
- Her journey as a blogger + power of vulnerability
- Thoughts on saying “when I achieve this, I’ll be this kind of person…”
- how to stop apologizing on group rides
- what progression actually looks like
- Should you just push through fear?
- How Syd and Macky make money as racers
- Syd’s Website
- Syd’s Instagram
- Syd and Macky’s YouTube Channel
- Blog Post: How to stop apologizing
- Blog Post: How to use mindfulness to turn a bad bike ride around
- Blog Post: The Problem with Faking It Till You Make It
Friend of the Podcast: Küat Racks
Shop My Store – Moxy & Grit
The Best Mountain Bike Vacation EVER!
Support the Show
If you would like to support the growth my show, I’d love your contribution on. Patreon. The current production of this free show is primarily supported out of my own pocket and a small portion is covered through the donations on Patreon. With my Patreon page, you can donate directly to the show which will help me cover the costs and help it grow! Even 4 bucks a month- the cost of one coffee per month helps a LOT! Thanks, I really appreciate your support!
Leave a review or share on social media
Don’t forget to subscribe!
Thanks for listening!